In the age of the Flower Children, Hippies and the Summer of Love, Doris and Don Fisher wanted to take advantage of opportunity. The couple opened their first store because Don could not find a pair of jeans that fit. That was back in 1969. Today, The Gap Inc. is a global retailer, a leader in the specialty market of clothing, and dominant in personal care products and accessories for everyone.
Today The Gap Inc. has more than 137,000 employees and more that 3100 company stores, as well as over 350 franchise stores. This companies career opportunities span the globe. Gap jobs exist in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, China, France, Ireland, Japan, and Italy.
In addition, there are franchises offering job opportunities in locations across Asia, Australia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, and Africa.
The Gap Inc. covers six brands in addition to the Gap brands. In all, these brands include The Gap, GapKids, babyGap, GapMaternity, GapBody, Old Navy, Banana Republic, Piperlime INTERMIX, and Althleta.
There are three outlet stores for which you can complete a Gap application. These include the Gap Outlet, Banana Republic Factory Stores, and the Gap Generation. There is also an online store that allows customers in over 90 countries to buy Gap’s products.
There are additional jobs in the call center for the online stores and there are positions to complete Gap employment forms for in the Headquarters and the Design Studios. A lot has changed since that fateful year of 1969, but as the company has grown and changed, it has maintained the principles on which it was founded.
Each of the individual brands that do not carry the Gap name have their own hiring apparatus and process. You can also browse all the jobs available in the corporation as well. You can do either of these things on the Gap website.
When you arrive at this informational section, you will see all the stores listed on the left hand side of the page. On the right hand side, below the picture, is where you can search the data base for all the stores at once. So, if you know your interest is in completing a Gap employment form for only Old Navy, then choose Old Navy from the left hand column.
On the other hand, if you are open to Gap career opportunities in any of the brands, go to the search form on the right side under the picture. Enter the country you want to work in, the talent field you want to work in, and under brands select “All Brands”.
When you find the Gap career opportunities that you want to apply for, you can then fill out the Gap online employment forms. Soon, you will be on your way to potential opportunities with one of the most unique and fun loving retail empires on the planet.
What You Need to Know
As you know, there are Gap career opportunities in all the retail stores around the globe. In addition, there are jobs in the distribution centers and at their headquarters. In order to apply for distribution or headquarters opportunities, choose the Gap Inc. as the brand you want and chose your job as the talent. For instance, if you want to work in the legal department for corporate, you would simply enter United States, legal, Gap Inc.
Distribution hires Gap career opportunities for positions such as materials management, materials handlers, merchandise handlers, industrial engineers, and more.
At the Corporate Headquarters you can complete a Gap job form for positions such as senior manager central operations, talent acquisition, recruiting manager, human resources manager, operational strategist, legal, and many, many more.
- You must be 16 years of age to complete any Gap employment form.
- You must show proof of authorization to work in the US before you can be interviewed for any position.
- You will need the following information in order complete the employment form:
- Your email address, Your Social Security Number, Your address and contact information.
- Your educational information and your work experience.
- It will take you a little less than an hour to complete the job form. Be patient and take your time. Make sure you fill out the Gap paperwork completely and so that it is clearly understandable. Do not rush through it. If you need to stop and come back to it later you can do so. Your work will be saved and you can pick up where you left off.
- The Gap’s store hours are usually Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- You will need to appreciate current fashions, like clothes, and be flexible about your schedule.
- Outstanding customer service skills are a major plus. You must love working with people.
Complete your Gap online employment forms now.
The Gap is one of the most well known clothing stores, providing reasonable prices and the latest fashions for men and women. You would think that every clothing store is the same, based on those characteristics, but in fact, fashion is as varied as the time of day. Once you’ve applied there, check out Plato’s Closet, a place that buys and sells clothing, and accessories, but they also stay up to the date with what sells and what doesn’t. After that apply to H&M and join one of the top sellers of high end fashion. When you’re finished there, check out Maurices, a time tested store that seeks to sell only the finest of fashions and show you how best to wear them. Needless to say, choice wisely when picking out the outfit for your interview.
Retail Positions and Compensation
There are two major categories in the retail environment – the sales staff and the management staff.
Sales Associates: These are usually entry level positions unless someone loves it and chooses to stay as a sales associate their entire career. The Gap job as a sales associate requires assisting customers, acting as cashier, stocking and organizing merchandise and displays. This position starts at minimum wage.
Store Management: For these applicants and internal candidates you must be 18 years of age or older to be considered for store management. The store management positions include the assistant Manager and Store Manager. Some stores also have Shift or Unit Leaders which is an entry level store management job.
Store management is responsible for hiring, training and supervising staff. They are responsible for operations at the store, for customer service, for scheduling staff and for the profitability of their particular store. This is an excellent career opportunity and the Assistant Manager usually pays between $30,000 and $50,000 per year. Store Managers compensation including options can exceed $100,000 per year.
The Gap Inc. offers a wide variety of benefits both traditional and innovative for both full and part time associates. Some of the benefits that the Gap provides include:
- A fun working environment and a challenging job.
- Health and wellness programs.
- 401 K Plans
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Profit Sharing plans
- Employee Stock purchase plans
- Paid Time Off = vacation, holiday pay, and sick leave.
- Medical/dental/vision and life insurance.
The Gap Inc. looks for talented young people with a flair for fashion. They will offer you tremendous career opportunities and the ability to move between brands as desired.
When Interviewing for a Job
- Be on time for your interview. Do not be late.
- Dress professionally. This is especially true for entry level candidates. DO NOT WEAR: Jeans, tshirts, flipflops, hats, shorts, tank or tube tops, or sunglasses.
- Shake hands firmly when you meet the interviewer.
- Make eye contact and maintain it throughout the interview.
- Send a thank you as a follow up for any job prospect.
- Be prepared to ask questions about the company and the job.
- Review the company history to prepare.
Brief History of the Company
As previously mentioned the Gap was founded in 1969 and has not stopped growing ever since. The principles upon which the Gap was founded still guide the company to this day. These include creativity, delivering on results, doing what is right and always, always putting the customer first.
With its multiple brands, the Gap Inc. is headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area. There are product design centers in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and London.
- The UK store opened in 1987.
- In 1969 jeans cost $7
- In 2004 Banana Republic sponsored Project Runway.
- Old Navy was named after a bar in Paris
- The Gap Inc. job opportunities are in 90 different countries including the call center and online websites.
- There are 137,000 employees throughout the system.
This company is committed to the continual process of changing the world for the better. In a wide range of initiatives the Gap Inc. attempts to see this out.
- The Environment: The Gap is committed to reducing its GHG emissions, reducing its carbon footprint and its waste.
- Women and the Industry – Women are 80% of worldwide garment workers but drastically underrepresented in management. The Gap PACE program (Personal Advancement & Career Enhancement) was designed to offer women garment workers the life skills and technical training needed to advance.
- Employees offer thousands of hours of volunteering in their communities at the urging of the Gap in order to give back.
- 100% of Gap branded denim is made in compliance with their water quality program.
- Gap is sensitive to animal welfare and does what it can to promote humane treatment of animals.
- Committed to compliance worldwide with labor practices initiatives of the United Nations.
If you like what you have heard about these career opportunities take the time to fill out the Gap application now.